Equinox Education Services outlines 10 good reasons to consider Germany as a Study Abroad option.
Germany is now the third most popular destination among international students in the world. More than twelve percent of students at German universities come from abroad – potentially just like you. Germany is an attractive place to study and German university degrees are highly respected by employers worldwide.
- YOU HAVE A TOP-CLASS DEGREE RECOGNISED AROUND THE WORLD! It is a recognised fact that the German higher education is one of the best in the world. Whether it’s cars or education, people everywhere recognise “Made in Germany” as a seal of quality. Students can benefit from Germany‘s long and famous university tradition especially in the fields of engineering and science. A German university degree is highly respected by employers around the world.
- STUDENTS HAVE A DIVERSE RANGE OF STUDY OPPORTUNITIES! Germany’s higher education system has something for everyone! There are almost 450 state-accredited universities with some 17,500 degree programmes in Germany. German universities offer degree programmes in every possible subject and academic level – be it bachelor’s, master’s, state examinations or doctoral degrees. General universities focus strongly on scientifically oriented study in a wide range of disciplines. Universities of applied science, on the other hand, are very practice-oriented. If students are more interested in artistic subjects, they can enrol at a college of art, film or music.
- YOU CAN STUDY IN ENGLISH! More and more courses and degree programmes are being offered in English, especially at the master’s degree level. This is good news for students that don’t know any German or if their German isn’t good enough yet.
- YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Around twelve percent of students at German universities come from foreign countries. Students can make friends from around the world, become acquainted with different countries and expand your horizons. The universities offer support to make your start in Germany as easy as possible. There are many mentoring programmes available, such as “Buddy” and “Tandem” programmes.
- YOU PAY VERY LOW TUITION FEES – AND SOMETIMES NONE AT ALL! Students normally don’t have to pay tuition fees at German universities, and if so, the fees are very low. Most German universities receive considerable financing from the government. Bachelor’s degree programmes are usually tuition-free at public universities. Some master’s degree programmes, however, come with tuition fees, but they’re not as high as in other countries. Equinox Education Services outlines 10 good reasons to consider Germany as a Study Abroad option.
- YOU HAVE VERY AFFORDABLE LIVING EXPENSES! Compared with other European countries, the cost of living in Germany is reasonable. The cost of food, rent, clothing and cultural activities are equivalent to the EU average. There are also a number of concessions available to students. You can receive reduced prices at theatres, museums, opera houses, cinemas, swimming pools and other institutions. All you have to do is present your student ID.
- YOU CAN BENEFIT FROM MANY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMMES! If you are an international student with strong academic background, you have good chances of receiving a scholarship to finance your studies in Germany. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)* is one of the largest scholarship organisations in the world and offers countless scholarship programmes. No matter what your country, subject or status, you’ll find a scholarship that matches your profile and needs in their database. The database not only contains programmes offered by the DAAD, but also many other organisations in Germany. *For more about the DAAD please read on.
- YOU LIVE IN A SAFE COUNTRY! On an international scale Germany is a very safe country. The police are reliable and will help you in every situation. Whether you live in a big city or in the country, you can move freely day or night without having to take any special precaution.
- YOU LIVE IN A DIVERSE COUNTRY IN THE HEART OF EUROPE! Beaches and mountains, medieval city centres and pulsating metropolises, and above all, lots of nature. Germany is a diverse country with many facets! Living in Germany means living in the middle of Europe surrounded by many other countries. Whether students like to visit Paris, Prague, Rome or Copenhagen, you have a wide range of destinations at their doorstep. Within a couple of hours by train or plane, you can experience an entirely different culture and language. Weekend trips are no problem and affordable.
- YOU LEARN A LANGUAGE WHICH CAN OPEN MANY DOORS! German is one of the ten most spoken languages in the world. Some 185 million people worldwide converse in it. You can still study in Germany even if you don’t know German, but having some knowledge of the language can make everyday life easier and help you make friends faster. Knowing a foreign language also looks great on a résumé, especially as Germany is an important political and ecomomic partner to the European Union and in international business. Nobody says that German is an easy language, but there are many ways to learn German – in a course, with a tandem partner or with German flatmates.
Who are the DAAD? The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is German funding organisation for the international exchange of students and researchers. Since it was founded in 1925, more than 1.9 million scholars in Germany and abroad have received DAAD funding. It is a registered association and its members are German institutions of higher education and student bodies. Its activities go far beyond simply awarding grants and scholarships. The DAAD supports the internationalisation of German universities, promotes German studies and the German language abroad, assists developing countries in establishing effective universities and advises decision makers on matters of cultural, education and development policy.
For more information about study options in Germany, please contact Equinox Education Services and we will happily manage the whole process for you!