Study In Ireland – Equinox FAQs

There are many reasons why Equinox Education Services’ Study In Ireland programmes are becoming increasingly popular. For most international students, the appeal is likely to be a combination of gaining a high-quality education, experiencing immersion in a new culture (and often a second language), gaining a global mindset and expanding future employment prospects. For some, the prospect of leaving home and heading off into the unknown is daunting, but studying in abroad is also an exciting challenge that often leads to improved career opportunities and a broader understanding of the way the world works. The type of experience you have during your time abroad will vary hugely depending on where you go, so make sure to pick a study destination based on your own personal interests as well as the institutions academic reputation, in order to keep a healthy work/play balance. Equinox Education Services are here to help you before and during your stay and with any issues that may arise after your departure.

Once you’ve made up your mind about where you want to study, you should start to think about choosing a programme taking into account your personality and what best suits you. Once you’ve firmly decided on your program and institution please let Equinox Education Services know and we take care of the full application process for you.

The length of time you spend studying abroad will depend on the type of program you choose. The shortest program would be a 1 week language and activity program while the longest could be a 3 year University degree. There a many different types of programmes for various durations. This is where you can use Equinox Education Services experience and support to help you decide the best course for you.

Application deadlines will be different depending on the school or language centre, but generally speaking if you are looking to do a semester or Term at a High school or apply for an Irish University or College program the sooner you start the application process the better. Language programmes, holiday camps etc normally take at least 2 weeks to arrange but again it is better to apply early once you have already made your decision. What age do I have to be to take part in a Study Abroad Programme? We work with a variety of schools that offer a wide range of programmes. The youngest students would be 13 years old and we have programmes for students of all ages.

Choosing where in the world you wish to study is not always an easy task. As well as your own personal interests you should think about practicalities such as the costs of studying in that country (both tuition costs and living costs), You should also think about what sort of lifestyle you wish to have during your studies. Do you want to live in a big city or a small town? Do you want arts and culture on your doorstep or world-class sporting facilities? Whatever your interests, be sure to match them up with your study destination so that you really give yourself the best chance of loving your international experience. If you need help making up your mind then Equinox Education Services is here to help you in all aspects of your study abroad adventure. We are available for advice, assistance and support.

We work with a variety of schools that offer a wide range of programmes. All the schools we work with are fully accredited. With regards to students between 13-18 we only work with schools that specialise in programs for teenagers. Equinox Education Services offer full support before, during and after a programme for ALL our students both young and the more mature.

Entry requirements vary widely between institutions. This is the type of information that Equinox Education Services can help you with. Speaking generally, however, if you are applying for an undergraduate degree you will be asked to show that you have completed your secondary education to a standard that is in line with the required grades for the program you’re applying to. If you have an international qualification and are unsure whether this is accepted, you should contact Equinox Education Services.

What documentation should I submit with my application?

You may be asked to provide some supporting documentation as part of your application. Once again, requirements vary depending on the country and institution, but international students are often asked to provide the following:

  • Passport photos for identification

  • Academic references/ letters of recommendation

  • Certificate and transcripts of your secondary education

  • Proof of language proficiency

  • Admissions test results (If applicable)

Well if you are planning on taking a language course or summer camp etc then most schools will have various levels of the English language from Beginner to Advanced so you will be able to apply and be sure of being in the correct level to aid your improvement. With regards to a High School, College or University programmes and courses, a minimum level of English language proficiency is usually expected and will vary depending on your course will be taught in. This is to ensure you will be able to follow your course without any comprehension problems. Before taking a language test, make sure you confirm which results are accepted by your chosen school to make sure you don’t waste money on the wrong test.

Student visas are a big question for those who want to know how to study abroad, though not all international students will need one. If you’re an EU citizen planning to study in Ireland for instance, you do not need to a visa. With regards to other countries Equinox Education Services is here to answer any questions you may have

With regards to short term study in Ireland, such as language programmes, summer camps etc there are no financial assistance available. With regards to High School and University programmes many international students may find it difficult to get a student loan to fund their studies, there are a myriad of other funding opportunities available to make studying abroad more affordable, including scholarships, fellowships, studentships, sponsorships, grants and bursaries. Many scholarships are granted based on academic merit, and are highly competitive. There are also lots of funding schemes targeting specific groups of students, such as students from developing countries and women studying male-dominated subjects.

Study in Ireland scholarships can be found in many places! Your first port of call is to contact Equinox Education Services. Sometimes the institution will also list external scholarships, such as those offered by the government or business partners of the school. If not, you should research governmental schemes in your home country and your country of study, as well as funding offered by external organizations relating to your field of study (e.g. an engineering firm might offer a scholarship for engineering).

This totally depends on where you decide to study. For students on short term language based courses we recommend homestay i.e. living with a local family. This option will be arranged by the host school. Also some short term programmes are residential so there are a number of options. For the more mature students self catering accommodation, hotels etc can also be arranged.

This will depend on whether or not your student visa allows you to work in Ireland. In some countries there are restrictions on the amount of paid work you can undertake during your studies; often there’s a limit of 20 hours’ paid work per week during term time, with full-time work permitted during holidays. Again please contact Equinox Education Services for more information.

It is normal to get homesick and it is normal to fall in love with your host country. In short, be prepared for many emotional ups and downs, but do not let these spoil the experience abroad. Most students remember the good things, and very few students report negative experiences when they return.

When traveling overseas your passport is your most important document. Losing it is a real pain so what can you do to protect your passport?

  • Do not leave your passport lying around the hotel room when you are out; always use the hotel safe provided;

  • Take a photocopy or photograph of your passport. In the event that you lose it or need any details related to it, you will have them available;

  • Don’t let it out of sight, even when giving it to friends, acquaintances or travel agents;

  • Try to avoid leaving your passport as a deposit at hotels, scooter rentals, or any other tourist; sites. Always try to use a driving license instead, as this is the easiest way to misplace a passport;

  • Lock your backpack. If you don’t have a lock, walk around with your backpack on your chest instead of back;

  • Buy a belt with a secret zipper, and put money in it as an emergency fund;

  • Keep things in separate places. That way, if something is stolen, you won’t lose everything;

  • Keep most items locked in a safe; only take into town what you need.

Do I have to pay for medical insurance? Students from EU countries who are in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to public health services in EU countries, including Ireland. This card is available from health authorities in your home country. Further information to your rights on healthcare while here can be obtained on the European Health Insurance Card website. For study outside EU countries, you will be required to have medical insurance in place.

If you have any more questions regarding how to study abroad, that haven’t already been addressed, feel free to ask us :

Equinox Education Services Ltd
Carlow Gateway Business Centre
Athy Road
Tel : +353-9179340
e-mailing or
call/whats app us on 087-9975625 or 085-7254280.